You’ve finally decided that polyurea spray coatings are the right choice for a second containment system for your wastewater storage tank. Not only is the polyurea solution waterproof, but it’s resistant to outside elements. You’re thinking you can apply the coating yourself even though you've never worked with these types of chemicals before.
But as you start applying the spray foam, you realize that something is wrong. The polyurea coating is not coming out evenly, and the coating doesn't seem to be sticking very well to the surface. You’re probably thinking – “What am I doing wrong?” or “Is the equipment broken?”
This can happen quite often, especially if you've never used this spray foam before. That's why we have technicians on staff available at all times to help our customers get the right coating the first time around.
In order to help you get a consistent and effective coating on your first attempt, follow these tips:
- Preparation is key: This is the biggest reason why the customer-applied coatings fail. If you don't prepare the surface properly, then the coating isn’t going to stick very well. Before you even prepare your equipment, take a look at the surface you're about to spray. Make sure it's clean of any oils, acids, salts, and other elements that could impact the coating. With a clean and level surface, you should have no problem applying your coating.
- Repair the damage: Before applying the solution, you should check to make sure that there are no cracks. If so, fill in any cracks and make sure the concrete surface isn't damaged in any way. You should consider replacing any caulking sealants as well.
- Read the instructions: You may think this is an obvious tip, but following the instructions will lead to (almost) no chance of a bad coating. If the instructions are too confusing, we urge you to give our support staff a call. You need to make sure you understand the process before applying a polyurea coating. You may also want to check your equipment and materials to make sure everything is ready for the task ahead.
- Prepare the area: You will need to install a primer on the surface. Next, bag off and mask the area to protect against any overspray, which includes any fixtures. You may want to use wire tape to get a clean-trimmed edge.
- Spray slowly and smoothly: A few things can occur when you're spraying, such as over-spraying or issues with the spraying-off ratio. You want to be aware of your surroundings when applying spray foam. For instance, on a windy day, you're going to want to spray against the wind. Make sure you're wearing the proper protective equipment when spraying into the wind because the applicator will be heavily exposed to over-spray. You should also check if the solution is mixed correctly before starting to apply the solution.
If you follow these tips, then you should have no trouble when applying your polyurea coating.
Remember, it is best to get the polyurea coating applied right the first time, so it's extremely important you are prepared and know what you're doing. Let Marvel Industrial Coatings help! Contact us today to get more information on our products and services.